Sunday, April 15, 2012

WeeBee: Sponsored Athlete

Loving the Alaska Love
This is it, folks! I have made the big time: I'm a sponsored athlete.  Perks, free stuff, you know....schwag.  Just for being me, for doing what I'm doing.
  Don't be intimidated.  Don't be afraid to come up and talk to me.  If you want an autograph, please bring your own pen as thru-hikers don't waste ounces on pens.  Finally, after all these years of biking, hiking, and skiing I've finally been acknowledged for the fine-tuned machine that I am (fine-tuned plus winter weight and slightly gimpy knee, of course...). 
  Before my imaginary ego gets too out of control, here's the real story:
When contemplating what kind of hat I would be wearing to keep the intense Southern California sun off my Alaskan cheeks (...the ones on my face), I realized that this hat would be making a statement.  It will be one of the first things folks along the trail will notice (it's hard to ignore something that is perched above one's face), and will also be in every dang long-arm photo I take (Look! Here's my double chin, my hat, and a rattlesnake!).  I also had to consider if my hat had a logo or writing on it that I would essentially be a walking billboard.  My forehead is valuable advertising space.  If I sported a logo or an emblem, I would, in fact, be telling the world that I can be associated with said restaurant/outfitter/slogan/what-have-you.  Yes, this seems like a lot of thought to put into which hat I'm going to wear for the next few months, but I don't want to grab the nearest hat I find and have people think that "One tequila! Two tequila! Three tequila! FLOOR! Cabo San Lucas, Mexico" is in any way representative of me. Not that I have a hat like that... just sayin'.
  So, while other hikers reach out to international wool garment companies, sleeping bag makers, camping food providers, and sunglasses businesses to help sway the cost of their hike (very resourcefully and practically, I might add....wish I'd thought of that) I reached out to a small, cottage industry in Alaska. One with a powerful message. One whose drift I catch in a big way.  Alaska Love.
 The premise is simple and to the point.  The logo is essentially the Alaska flag, with the Big Dipper and the North Star on it, but done with hearts rather than stars.  And the only words along side the emblem are : "alaska love".  This really sums it up for me as I happen to love Alaska (see previous post for more gushing).  This is a message I can carry with pride along 2,650 miles of trail.  A message that accurately represents my stance to people I first meet or even just pass along the trail with a nod.  This logo says it all.
 I blindly contacted Alaska Love (www.alaskalaughter.com OR www.facebook.com/alaskalove), explained my hike and that I'd like to represent Alaska in this way along my journey but that I couldn't necessarily justify paying more money for a trucker hat when I have about 9 trucker hats and have just spent a small ransom on new gear for this trek.  I asked if their company would like to donate a hat for my cause.  I promised massive exposure. Happily I received an enthusiastic YES and not only did Marne at Alaska Love give me a trucker hat, she also supplied me with a t-shirt and a couple of stickers!! I love Alaska Love!
This is how much I love Alaska Love! 

 At this point, my hat band is a little larger than usual to accommodate my swollen ego.  I mean, I'm practically a professional athlete with sponsorships flying at me from every direction.  OK, so I did a little grovelling to receive the goods.  But Alaska Love was very gracious and also probably wanted to stop the stream of desperate emails, the sobbing, and begging.  Me on the front mat of Marne's house every morning was getting kind of weird.  I digress.  My forehead will proudly carry the emblem of my state flag and a sentiment that is dear to me. 
 Along these lines, I'd also like to thank Jim and Carol from Arctic Treks (www.arctictreksadventures.com) for getting me a killer deal on freeze-dried food and Juliette Boselli from Denali Mountain Works (www.akrivers.com) for the socks. Support your local small businesses, people!!!
 My hat and I are nearly ready for the trail and I anticipate sneaker on desert action on Friday morning bright and early.....

No comments:

Post a Comment